Monday, September 21, 2009

On 5 ingredients or less...


Fall is right around the corner (even though it's close to 100 degrees today) which means time for soup and pumpkins. When my friend Mitzi told us she made pumpkin soup-I turned up my nose. Then I tasted it-delicious! It has a silky richness and the bit of curry gives it a spark without being overwhelming. Most items you'll have in your cupboard, and it literally just takes minutes to prepare. With crusty bread and a crisp Chardonnay it makes a light, satisfying autumn dinner.

Pumpkin Soup

4 T butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 t curry powder
3 cans chicken broth
1 29 oz can pumpkin
2 cups heavy cream

Saute onions in butter until clear. Add curry powder and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat-stir in pumpkin and broth. Season with a dash of white pepper (and dash of nutmeg if desired). You can add salt if using low sodium broth. Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in cream. Cook for 5 more minutes. Puree until smooth (I use immersion blender) and creamy. Serves 6-8. I drizzle with a little creme fraiche (Trader Joe's is the best buy) or sprinkle with fresh chives.


1 comment: